When attempting to connect to a video coaching session in CaféWell, the status of your devices is displayed on the top left of the panel as shown.
When connecting the dot indicator remains red.
Once a connection is established and all the necessary devices are detected, the dot will turn green. (If you are having problems connecting, see What do I do if I am having problems connecting to the Web Real-Time Communications (WebRTC) service when using Video Coaching?)
If there is a problem detecting a device, the dot will be orange. To see a description of the issue, hover over the orange dot as shown.
The devices you need depend on the role and the type of session you are joining.
- Participants of coaching sessions only receive audio, so only a sound device is required, such as built-in speakers or headphones.
- Participants of 1-on-1 sessions should have a camera and a microphone in addition to speakers or headphones.
- Coaches hosting group sessions only broadcast video and audio so only a camera and a microphone are required.
- Coaches hosting 1-on-1 sessions require a sound device, camera, and microphone.
Configuring Permissions and Device Preferences
If a device is detected but not working properly, you may need to give the browser permission to use the device. If you are using video coaching for the first time, you may be prompted to give permission in order for Caféwell to use your device. If you see a prompt like the image below, click Allow.
Setting camera and microphone permissions in Chrome
If you previously did not authorize CaféWell to use a device and want to use it, you'll need to adjust the permissions.
- Open Chrome.
- In the top right, access the Chrome menu
- Click Settings.
- Scroll to the bottom of the window, and then click Show advanced settings.
- In the Privacy section, click Content settings.
- In the Media section under Microphone and Camera, select Ask when a site requires access to your camera and microphone — Chrome alerts you whenever a site asks to use to your camera and microphone
- Click Manage exceptions.
- If you see an entry for www.cafewellcom that is Blocked, remove that row. The next time you attempt to use the device you will be prompted again to grant permission.
Setting camera and microphone permissions in Firefox
To change camera and microphone permissions:
- Navigate to Tools > Page Info menu
- Click Permissions
- Scroll down to the sections for Use the Camera and Use the Microphone
- Uncheck Use Default and select Allow
- Close the window, and then refresh the web page.
Configuring Device Preferences
If you have multiple cameras or microphones connected to your computer one will be selected by CaféWell as the default. To change to another device (such as another microphone) you may need to do the following:
- Disconnect one of the devices
- Set the device preference in your browser
- Chrome: navigate to Settings > Advanced Settings > Content Settings > Camera or Microphone and select the desired device from the dropdown
- Firefox: If you have multiple cameras and microphones attached to your computer, then you can click on the grey camera icon in the address bar to choose which camera and microphone to use
- Double check that you have given the appropriate permissions for CaféWell to use the device covered in the section above